Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a chair, a plymouth, and ruins @oakhurst (nikon d70)

In the fall of 2006, I attended an oyster festival at Steinbeck's in Oakhurst, Georgia, with a couple of friends. While there, I made a mental note that Oakhurst might be the kind of place worth photographing sometime. Then I proceeded to get crocked.

Mulligan's was a bar in Oakhurst famous for serving the Lutherburger - a cheesburger with an egg on it, served on Krispy Kreme donuts instead of bread. By the time I got to Oakhurst, the establishment had closed, so I wandered around back to see what I could find. I was rewarded with an abandoned chair behind the former Mulligan's. There wasn't enough light on the chair to suit me, so I used an SB-800 left of the camera to throw a little more on it.

After hitting Mulligan's, I tooled around Oakhurst looking for more interesting stuff to photograph. I found this Plymouth Cadillac, likely the only one ever made. While photographing the Plymouth, which was parked on a public street, an old lady sitting on her screened porch kept asking, "Do you have permission?" As a photographer, clueless wankers who get up in my grill when I am in the public right-of-way irritate me to no end. The law is quite simple - if you are on a public street, sidewalk, or anywhere else publicly owned, if you can see it from there, you can photograph it.

On the way home, I picked a random street and took it northbound. I discovered the ruins of a house. Adjacent to the ruins was a sketchy looking sort of backwoods shack. The kind of dump inhabited by well armed rednecks with anger management and xenophobia problems. So, I did not linger long.

All photographs were taken with a Nikon D70 and a Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 constant aperture zoom with a Silent Wave motor.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home