Monday, July 26, 2010

random buildings @downtown pittsburgh (nikon d70)

On the way back to Atlanta from Jamestown, I stopped in Pittsburgh for a few days. While my primary objectives were to catch a Pittsburgh Pirates game in their new ballpark and a Penguins game at the Igloo, I found time to take a few photographs as well.

After checking in to my hotel, I busted out the camera gear and took a little stroll around downtown. One of the first things I found was this Death Star looking AT&T Building. Next, while wandering downtown, I noticed a crazy chef tucked in behind a few buildings.

Atlanta firmly believes historic preservation is best done with a wrecking ball and bulldozer. Therefore, the city's historic train stations are long gone. Whenever I'm in other places, I make it a point to go looking for the original train stations. One reason they fascinate me is railroads were the original big money ballers, which is reflected in elaborate station architecture. In Pittsburgh, I found the Pennsylvania Union Station, which has been converted to luxury apartments.

I enjoyed my time in Pittsburgh. A highlight was the abundance of excellent Italian food. Bravo Franco and Villa Reale are two fantastic Italian restaurants. I also appreciated the multiple quality drinking establishments available near my hotel, especially Ale House in Market Square. I highly recommend a visit to the PGH, if you have the means.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Seraphine said...

you can't go wrong with italian food. it is probably the easiest food in the world to make-- if you use fresh ingredients-- because it is so hard to mess up. i bet if you count pizza, italian food is the most popular choice in america.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home